Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Integration of KM into Learning

As the semester progresses I have realized how much the KM tools really can improve knowledge sharing. Until this year, I have really skated by without using much KM technology beyond e-mail, instant messenger, my travel blog and facebook. This is my first time participating in any kind collaboration tools. I have never even had to use WebCT for discussion purposes. This semester a lot has changed. 

The first big change came with the use of the discussion function on WebCT. At first I was hesitant, but it is really interesting to see how everyone approaches such comments differently. I also underestimated the power of capturing those comments. It is amazing how much more I get out of these discussions than those in the classroom because everything is documented so well. 

The second big change is the wiki. I have never participated in anything like the wiki for our class either. My technique of studying has always been much like the essence of the wiki, in organizing my tacit and explicit knowledge onto paper (or in this case computer) so that I may better understand the whole. I really like reading how everyone is taking the class differently and again like WebCT, the documentation allows much better reflection on what we have learned. 

The last and probably most significant change is the use of Web 2.0 tools for my own use. This is the first time that I have been involved in project groups that insist on using collaboration tools. I'm not sure if this is due to never having worked with these people before or if the tools are really becoming that more prevalent and useful. One of my groups is using a wiki to communicate and create project documents while another is using a Google Group. I have to say so far, I am liking Google Group better because the functionality for collaboration space seems to be much more useful (Discussion functions, page creation, file uploading, and so on). It is really making our projects better and since finding time when 5 busy people can meet is so hard, this allows us to share our work as we accomplish it online. Turnover between group members has increased tremendously. 

Lastly I just wanted to note something I found very interesting in the presentations on Monday, EVERY single group presenting mentioned IBM. I know IBM is great at what they do but this is the first class I am learning about their great success, I wonder if anyone else is finding this? And if so, why??

No comments: